Water Kefir is a super-tasty easy-to-make probiotic soda you brew yourself at home!
It’s abundant in the good bacteria that improves gut function, immune response, and overall health.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, vegan and delicious!
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 3½ cups Filtered Water
- 2 tbsps Water Kefir Cultures
- 1 piece Dried Fruit (unsulphured)
- ½ cup Fresh Fruit
- Fill wide mouth quart sized mason jar with room temperature or cool filtered water (leave some room for expansion). Add sugar and stir or cap and shake well to dissolve. Add water kefir culture and dried fruit.
- Put the lid on and store in a dark, dry area like a cupboard for 24-48 hours. At this point, your dried fruit should be floating and you should notice some carbonation in your half-finished Water Kefir.
- Using your mesh nylon strainer, strain the fruit and water kefir culture from the liquid, catching the liquid in your second quart sized mason jar. Discard fruit. Keep the liquid you have just strained (it's half-finished water kefir) in the second mason jar.
- Add fresh or frozen fruit or ¼ cup fruit juice to this jar to flavor your Water Kefir. (See notes) Put the lid on the second ferment and store in cupboard for another 24-48 hours.
- Start the process again! When you strain water kefir cultures from the first to the second ferment, you must also begin a new first ferment with the water kefir cultures you have strained.
- Strain the fruit from your second ferment after 24-48 hours at room temp. The brew is finished when it is carbonated, tangy, and only a bit sweet. Bottle in a flip-top bottle that is air-tight and refrigerate. Enjoy!
Keep Kefir Happy: Add a pinch of mineral rich sea salt, a rinsed off piece of eggshell, or a ½ tsp of blackstrap molasses to the first ferment to ensure the cultures stay healthy.