Here’s a new twist on an old favorite!
Skip the bread and make a BLT inside of a mushroom cap instead.
Perfectly light for summer and exploding with yummy basil and tomato flavor.
Prep the bacon and the pesto ahead, and you have a super-fast lunch or dinner!
Change it up by chopping the ingredients and tossing together in a bowl for more of a salad-like experience.
No meat? Ditch the bacon and use goat cheese or smoky tempeh instead.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, and delicious!
- 8 slices Organic Bacon
- 4 Portobello Mushroom Caps
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Garlic (clove)
- ¼ cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 cup Basil Leaves
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Arugula
- 1 Avocado (peeled and sliced)
- 2 Tomatoes (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (204ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the bacon. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Flip and let cook for another 8 to 9 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Remove and wrap in paper towel.
- Brush the inside of your portobello mushroom caps with a splash of olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Place them on a baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Use a food processor or blender to create your pesto by combining garlic, sunflower seeds, basil, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and blend until a creamy consistency forms. Transfer to a jar and set aside.
- Add a handful of arugula to each mushroom cap. Top with sliced avocado, tomato and a pinch of sea salt. Add bacon on top. Drizzle with pesto. Enjoy!
Buy store bought pesto.
Foods that Heal
Tomatoes’ deep red color contains antioxidants that affectively fight inflammation and may prevent prostate cancer.
No Sunflower Seeds
Use pine nuts, hemp hearts, walnuts or any other nut instead.
Make It Veggie
Pan-fry sliced tofu in soy, coconut aminos or tamari sauce (with optional liquid smoke) and top portobello BLT!