Creamy and comforting, this simple lentil dal hits so many spots!
Eat it leftover – it gets even better as it sits.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, vegan and delicious!
- 3 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger (minced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 bulb Shallot (or small onion)
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup Lentils (any variety)
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 can Water
- 1½ tsps Sea Salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm your fat: olive oil, coconut oil or ghee all work well.
- Add ginger, garlic, onion, curry powder and garam masala and cook until vegetables soften and the spices are fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, and salt, then fill the empty coconut-milk can to the top with water and add it to the pan.
- Stir everything together, turn the heat to high, bring mixture to a boil then turn the heat to low and allow the lentils simmer gently.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are completely soft, anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on the type of lentils used.
More flavor: You may substitute broth for the water to lend a richer flavor, and increase the aromatics and spices to turn up the volume even more! A squeeze of lime at the end brightens up the dish as well.
Goes with: Use rice, naan bread, a dollop of plain yogurt, some garlicky greens, or pastured pork sausages to make this an even heartier meal.