HOW TO COOK & EAT MORE
without breaking your back or the bank
(or choking down sprouted mung beans)
when you join:
MILLIONS OF WOMEN KNOW THEY NEED TO EAT MORE NOURISHING FOODS.
Yet they don't cook for themselves on a regular basis.
Maybe you are the type to walk into the kitchen with best intentions to cook up all the great food in your refrigerator but you quickly become drained, overwhelmed, or resentful, and eventually resort to spreading peanut butter on something and calling it a meal.
Maybe you know exactly what you need to be eating, but you are extremely inconsistent with your efforts, going through phases of being "on the wagon" and adhering perfectly, then allowing that one bad choice to be the reason you fall back "off the wagon" and struggle with finding the perfect time to get back on.
Maybe you are battling physical symptoms that make you swear every day you'll change your diet to that new miracle "only consume chicken beaks" protocol you read about, but your depression, discomfort and exhaustion keeps you trapped in a habit loop of less-than-nourishing choices and self-loathing.
Maybe you spend hundreds per week on pre-packaged "health-foods" and eating out, justifying it as the only way to make Real Foods happen in your busy life, but you wonder if you could feel better with some nutrient-dense home-cooked food in you (and what would be different if you had some of that cash back!)
Maybe you are a total Pinterest recipe addict, and jam all the latest superfoods into your smoothies, but your constant desire to find the "right" way to eat keeps you second guessing what to actually consume on a daily basis, so you smear some almond butter on something and call it a meal.
THESE WELL-MEANING (BUT SORT OF ANNOYING) FOOD HELPERS WANT YOU TO BELIEVE
THEY HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS TO YOUR STRUGGLES WITH FOOD!
- THE "TOTALLY BORN THAT WAY" SUPER-SLENDER COOKBOOK AUTHOR who makes the process of cooking and eating nothing but dried twigs and (probably poisonous) wild-foraged berries look impossibly easy, satisfying, and even sexy.
- THE MILITANT FOOD-BOOTCAMPER who offers their 21-day/30-day miracle fix for your eating woes, only if you perfectly execute a totally overwhelming and seriously restrictive protocol using only their (time-consuming and weird-ingredient) recipes and shopping lists.
- THE SUPPLEMENT AND PROTEIN PACKED SHAKE EXPERT that has you hooked-in and paying insane prices for their "just as good as food!" drink replacements that taste like a glass of chocolate flavored sawdust and make you gain all the weight back when you stop.
- THE SPECIALIST who you have pinned all your hopes on to finally give you some deeper answers to your physical/mental/emotional imbalances who tells you food really doesn't have anything to do with how you feel. And then writes you another prescription.
WHAT WILL YOUR HEALTH LOOK LIKE IN 5 YEARS IF YOU DON'T START SHIFTING YOUR
YOU COULD END UP EVEN MORE FOGGY / TIRED / DEPRESSED / ANXIOUS THAN YOU ARE NOW
The effect of crappy food on a crappy mood is well proven. Sugar alone can exacerbate anxiety, cause cognitive decline, contribute to ADHD and cultivate addiction. Do you even know how badly those artificial flavors and colors are messing with your brain function and contributing towards those headaches?
YOU COULD END UP WITH AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE (OR A SECOND AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE)
There are about 100 different types of chronic and life-threatening AI diseases. It is one of the top 10 leading causes of death in female children and women in all age groups. Food plays a profound part in preventing, controlling, and mitigating the often crippling symptoms of auto-immunity.
YOUR WEIGHT STRUGGLES MIGHT NEVER END
Of course what you eat has to do with weight, but scarier than that, everything you have been told in order to help you lose weight has made you sicker. We are a nation of overweight people who are malnourished, inflamed, and fatigued. Eating nutrient dense Real Foods supports weight loss because it actually heals and brings balance to the body!
YOU COULD (SERIOUSLY, NOT BEING DRAMATIC HERE) DIE
Regular consumption of refined sugar, GMO's, hydrogenated oils and artificial ingredients (hidden in thousands of foods, sometimes disguised as health foods!) can lead to: insulin resistance & diabetes, nutritional deficiencies, allergies, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and cancer.
4 TOTALLY LEGIT REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THE TIME TO GET IN THE KITCHEN IS
- MY METHODS: While I have always found enjoyment in cooking, I never liked planning, spending too much time in the kitchen, following involved recipes, cleaning up, or dealing with complaints about the food. Because of this, I have developed cooking methods that have freed me from recipes and overly-complicated eating protocols.
- THE CERTIFICATION: I studied Health Behavior Change and Habit Formation at Duke Integrative Medicine and have spent over 400 hours coaching and teaching over the last 4 years. Once I learned exactly how the brain changes and creates new habits I developed a methodology for implementing this very shift within the kitchen.
- MY EXPERIENCE: As a (formerly) anxious, totally disorganized, easily overwhelmed and full-of-every-excuse kind of person, I have discovered the power of mindfulness, taking a darn breath every once in awhile, and shifting my perspective as a pivotal part of being successful in the kitchen process. As a result, I’ve actually found an authentic joy in the work of loving my body with food!
- THE BOTTOM LINE: As someone who has tried dozens of protocols, diets and eating styles (from Weight Watchers to Health-Food-Junk-Food to Low-Fat to strict Auto-Immune Protocol to Candida Cleanses to Green Juice Fasts to Paleo to Nourishing Traditions/GAPS) I have ultimately found that Intuitive Eating of 95% Real Foods has yielded me the greatest happiness, freedom, and health.
I don't eat perfectly all the time, I'm not super-skinny, and sometimes I really don't want to cook dinner.
I'm a woman who has come to believe that the more intention I put into the process of stepping into and owning my time in the kitchen making food that nourishes me; the more I have healed, the more I have grown, the more I have truly inhabited my body and life.
And I believe that same thing can happen for you.
There is a ton of really great information out there in the food world, and much of it can be helpful, but this non-stop assault of (militant and often conflicting) nutrition advice, protocols, and billions of new recipes published every day is not helpful.
The experts out there want to tell you exactly WHAT to eat, but then the love stops there. They actually don't show you HOW to change the deep-seeded habits that keep you stuck and spinning. Like:
- What to do when you're in the pantry staring at your husband's junk, trembling with the most intense desire you have ever known to make-out with an Oreo.
- How to stop accidentally driving through Chick-fil-A for waffle fries...twice a week.
- What to do when you're obsessing about what to eat every other minute.
- How to change the crappy way you feel about yourself when you believe the lie that you are never going to make consistently good choices / change your health with food / feel and look good / have a better life.
Changing your HABITS is what will help you change your EATING.
And changing your EATING is what will help you change your HEALTH.
And changing your HEALTH is what will ultimately transform your LIFE.
IMAGINE WHAT LIFE WOULD BE LIKE 1 YEAR FROM NOW IF YOU HAVE A HABIT OF REGULARLY KICKING-ASS IN THE KITCHEN?
- It's a new week, and you wake up without wanting to die/hit snooze 30 times. You can actually get your body out of bed without saying things like "Dear God, help me" or hobbling hopelessly to the bathroom (only to fall back asleep on the toilet or while in the shower.)
- Your regular morning ritual includes time in the kitchen, and as you sip your tasty AM beverage, you open the stocked-with-serious-bounty fridge and pull out some goodness. In under 10 minutes you've got breakfast happening, and lunch is on its way to being packed up and ready-to-go.
- As you rock your day and your life, feeling sharp and not wanting to stab everyone around you for no reason, you only think about food when it's relevant. You're not on the hunt for cookies, wondering where to stop for lunch, or worrying about what to make for dinner.
- On the way home, you don't have to do the thing where you stop at the store to get "just a few things" but leave with 30 totally random items that end up rotting in the bottom of your produce drawer.
- At dinner, you've got the confidence and know-how to walk into the kitchen and cook a meal in 30 minutes, and it's really darn good - tasty, cohesive, creative, and perhaps even a teeny bit fun to make.
- Your after-dinner treat doesn't make you want to wear a lambswool sweater to bed just to punish yourself all night long for your lack of self-control, and in fact, it hits the spot and you can actually walk away after eating a perfect human-sized portion.
A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM TO HELP YOU ROCK YOUR KITCHEN AND EATING WITHOUT HATING YOUR FAMILY OR LIFE.
WHAT TO EAT:
- In the New School Kitchen, we keep it simple and real, focusing on foods that come from the earth.
- You'll work towards developing the habits that have you loving quality proteins, healthy fats, and nutrient-dense carbohydrates.
- Just as your instincts protect and guide you, your body (when given the right foods) starts to tell you what's working, and what isn't.
You will get to dig deeper into this concept month after month - there's no pressure to follow the rules and have it all figured out on Day 1!
WHAT TO DO:
There are six key habits you need to rock to turn your kitchen into a New School Kitchen.
- PLAN: More than just a grocery list, I will break down this critical step and in a way that will make you actually look forward to your week of food.
- SHOP: I'll help you turn this dreaded chore into an opportunity, so that you start squealing when you see a gorgeous head of cauliflower instead of wrinkling your nose in disgust.
- PREP: Once you master this habit, you'll never slave away in the kitchen again.
- COOK: This is the cornerstone habit of a New School Kitchen! Using my simple methods and recipes, you'll create nutrient dense food that's big on flavor and short on stove-slavery time.
- EAT: Learn to enjoy Real Foods without choking down dry and boring "healthy" meals, and experience the whole "I'm actually full and don't need to keep gorging myself" feeling you have always heard and wondered about.
- RE-SET: Ok, so I won't come to your house to clean up, but I will offer cooking methods that don't use 50 dishes, and help you cultivate new perspective on this often dreaded part of the process.
You'll get to practice these habits month-after-month. We will work through them at a steady and manageable pace. This is how habits are formed!
HOW TO DO IT:
This is where The New School Kitchen takes it to the next level.
Because I am trained in habit change, I'm not just going to tell you to start cooking, give you some recipes, and leave you to the wolves.
When you get stuck (i.e. are avoiding, complaining, dreading, getting anxious, or downright yelling while working on one of the habits of a New School Kitchen) I've got your back.
This part of the method addresses the stuff that goes deeper and that we cover up with limiting beliefs / excuses like:
- "I don't know how to eat well"
- "I don't have the time"
- "I just need more recipes"
- "My family won't eat this way, so there's no point"
- "Eating clean is too expensive"
- "My symptoms/health/attitude is genetic, there's nothing I can do to change it."
- "I'm just not a good cook."
With the right mindset, skills and willingness to play, all of these lies can be replaced with new truths!
LET'S TALK CASH!
New habits are formed over time,
which is why quick-fixes with food never ever work.
And why a monthly commitment that you can cancel at any time
just makes more sense.
Use the program until your kitchen is New School,
and then let it go when you're ready!
HERE'S WHERE I ADDRESS YOUR REAL CONCERNS:
Q. What kind of food will I be eating?
You will never be offered recipes and methods that use any refined sugar (although this doesn't mean there won't be tasty treats!)
You will also never receive a recipe with wheat/gluten in it (I can't eat it, so I'm taking you all with me!) Even if you are not "gluten-free" there's no harm in eating less wheat and gluten. Add gluten to your plate if you please! Just don't offer me any.
If you are gluten-free, this is the place for you. No modifications necessary, no expensive specialty gluten-free food to buy.
Dairy is often an add-on and can be easily substituted. No cheese casseroles will be on the menu, if dairy isn't your thing, this program should work for you.
Q. So before the program begins, what do I need to buy at the store?
In this membership site, there is no official start and end, and I won't be bootcamping you through a hard-core process that will make big promises, deliver for a month, and then leave you right back where you started.
True habit changes happen slowly! Most of us don't want to believe this, and we are not patient enough to embrace this, but if you want to change your eating for the long run, you have got to embrace the idea that this is a commitment, its not going unroll perfectly, and the journey can look messy. You'll be creating your own meal plans based on the tenants we learn, the support you will have, and the ideas the community and I will help you generate.
This method introduces new concepts and actions each month, so that it is supportive of how we really change: one step at a time.
If you want to buy anything, choose one-ingredient Real Foods that you are already familiar with - proteins, veggies, fruits, intact grains, starches, etc. We will work towards, month after month, eating more of these and less of the processed stuff.
Q. How do I make my spouse/partner/kid/BFF do this with me?
Most caretakers do best when they make the choice to change the way they are eating and face the Oreo cookie temptation demons head-on, without trying to drag everyone along with them. Something magical often happens when they do: they are able to ask those dependent on them to pitch in and cook their own junk, they have the energy to listen to and field the complaints when they serve good clean food, they model the behavior that others often start tuning into and following.
Q. I already know how to cook, why do I need this?
If you are looking for a course that is going to help you become a culinary master, this is not for you. I definitely know my way around a kitchen and a stove, but I'm not uber-gourmet. I don't use fancy tools or equipment, and I don't make anything that has french words in it.
Q. Can you help me figure out all my shit?
The New School Kitchen forum (where you will get to interact with me) is not a place to talk endlessly about your disease, ask for supplement and doctor recommendations, or ask me every burning question you have ever had about your health and your neighbors best-friends fathers health. You'll have to pay more than $19 a month for that kind of support. Also, I'm not a doctor.
The long answer is: YES, I can help you figure out your shit with food! The New School Kitchen is designed to help you consistently eat Real Foods and establish new habits in the kitchen. In addition to the actual planning/shopping/cooking/eating part of the equation, I've developed a series of tools and tips around the mindset, limiting beliefs, and qualities you can bring to the kitchen experience to see the most success in becoming your most vibrant and actualized YOU.
The one thing I have learned in 4 years of working with people who don't feel so hot: They often want to look for every possible reason and remedy and solution outside of committing to eating clean day-in-and-day-out as a way to heal. Here's the bottom line: The answer to all of your aches and pains is in food. Eat this way consistently and your answers will start to reveal themselves.
I'm NOT going to diagnose you and I am not going to be your therapist.
I AM going to guide you and I am going to be your coach.
Q. What kind of time will I have to commit to this?
"I don't have time" is a limiting belief and an excuse. We will discuss this barrier that many of us have, but if you are going to spend every waking opportunity explaining why you don't have time to cook anything, even a 10 minute meal, and how you wish I could come to your house and be your personal chef, then this program is not for you.
Here's a hint: your missing time might be hidden in your smart-phone scrawling or over in that Netflix binge.
Q. I am a vegetarian/vegan. Is this for me?
Q. What if I lose interest and want to quit?
HERE'S SOME THINGS PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT WORKING WITH ME AND USING THESE METHODS.
What I'm noticing now is that these habits -- nutrition, food prep, self care -- are becoming priorities and now lifestyle choices for me and, by extension, my whole family. I have seen huge jumps in my energy level and drops in anxiety and depression. I just feel good and that makes me able to deal with everything that's going on without breaking. I'm overjoyed to be on the Real Food train -- no processed foods, no sugar, lots of clean proteins and veggies -- and it feels great!Heather
I love being in The New School Kitchen. The resources, the community, and of course the challenge of making small changes has helped me really learn and grow in the kitchen. Plus, I eat way more veggies now!
Being a New School Kitchen Member has completely changed the way I approach food for myself and my family, and it feels awesome! I'm cooking with fresh ingredients, loving the way my food tastes, and getting more confident in the kitchen every week. Beyond that, I'm noticing what foods and habits are not serving my body, and making different choices without feeling deprived or doing anything extreme. This approach is totally do-able, and I recommend The New School Kitchen Membership to all of my clients who take part in the Fit4Mom classes!Jody
I have loved being a member! The benefits go beyond food, though that part of it is wonderful. The NSK has impacted my relationship with my husband, our daughter, our work, our bodies, and our general outlook on life. I have loved paying attention to the effects my kitchen has on our life and making changes for the better. I recommend the NSK to everyone!Mariah
I was a smoker for over 16 years. Thanks to The New School Kitchen, I have officially quit! After months of eating clean, I began noticing how great my body felt, and I also couldn't help but notice how bad the cigarettes were making me feel. I feel like I can do anything now! I am so so grateful for The New School Kitchen and the strength and motivation it gave me to finally conquer my addiction.Kamron
MEMBERSHIP OPEN NOW!
After joining you will get immediate access to The New School Kitchen goodies!
Each month, you'll get some new concepts to focus on, recipes and cooking guides, a new video of me schooling you from my kitchen, tips, fun eating challenges, tons of great support inside the private Facebook group, and anything else I feel like sharing!
If you are curious, make the leap now! The New School Kitchen Membership will close at the end of April for 6 more months.