Steel cut oats are a super comforting and filling breakfast, especially when paired with some protein and fat (hello peanut butter!)
Toast your oats in the pot first for crazy-delicious flavor then sweeten with banana and maple syrup and dive in.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and delicious!
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Steel Cut Oats (dry, uncooked)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 cup Plain Coconut Milk (from the can or carton)
- 1 Banana (medium, ripe and mashed)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup All Natural Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium pot with a lid over medium heat. Add the oats and toast in the coconut oil for about a minute until oats are fragrant.
- Carefully add the water and the coconut milk to the pot and then stir in the salt, mashed banana and vanilla. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the oats are tender, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Stir in the peanut butter and maple syrup. Divide into bowls and enjoy!
Leftovers: Keep well in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat the oats with a splash of water or milk.
Reduce Phytic Acid: If you are working on gut healing, try soaking your oats in a large bowl of warm water with a splash of apple cider vinegar 8 - 24 hours. This is easy if you set them out overnight to soak and cook them in the morning. This will make them more digestible and their nutrients more available.